Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gateways

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:13, 14, NKJV).

Gateways. One gaping wide, really, really obvious, and easy to reach. The other narrow, inconspicuous, and difficult to find.

Destinations. One destruction. The other life.

Stark contrasts and clear warnings.

Some say (I used to), that Christianity is too much 'pie in the sky by and by' to be satisfying. Like many things people say based on sheer ignorance and wishful thinking, that statement is unadorned stupidity. (Was that rude? Good. I meant it to be.) Did I mention it was inexcusably prideful, as well? Stupid AND prideful, then. I know I should be more polite, and I try, I really do try, but I'm old, tired and overworked, and I have even less patience than the little amount I even normally possess.

This part of what is popularly called the Sermon on the Mount, a synonymous title for Matthew 5-7, details how utterly unlike the world Christians are supposed to live. (Good thing I memorized it else I would be more rude.)

If Christianity is all 'pie in the sky by and by', then why all the dire warnings about death and destruction? Christ speaks more of Hell and eternal damnation ("where the fire is not quenched and the worm never dies") then He does of Heaven. So you can just toss out the argument about it being too good to be true.

Another major objection to the Christian faith is that it's full of toxic shame and guilt and punishment, and that too is just ignorant foolishness. In fact, I have heard some people say both things at once, which is an oxymoron of stupendous proportions.

The truth is embodied in the passage above. Christianity, at its root is God condescending to reveal to His rebellious creatures the Truth. Two gateways. Two destinations. The one that looks right in rebellion is wrong. The one that in our arrogance and pride we can't even see, is right. And because the truth was lost, God Himself became a Man and died to enable us to see the Way.

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. (Philippians 2:5-8, NKJV).