Sunday, July 25, 2010

Flesh and Spirit

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (Galatians 5:16-22, NKJV).

Flesh and Spirit

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. (Romans 7:18, NKJV).

And...

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. (Romans 7:14, NKJV).

The Word of God makes an emphatic distinction between flesh and spirit. Many believe it ultimately describes man as tripartite, flesh and soul and spirit (Heb 4:12), with 'flesh' referring to our material, three-dimensional existence in an organic container with bones and blood and organs and skin. What we call 'soul' points to our will and emotions, the 'I behind my eye', the being that I most often identify as 'myself', and, finally, 'spirit' is that part of me made in the direct image of God, that part, that until I believed and surrendered to the gospel of Christ, was "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph 2:1).

The Apostle Paul warns us of the many battles of the Christian life; against the world, against the enemy of our soul, and against our flesh. I suppose it's possible to avoid the first two, but if you are alive and conscious, the last one is guaranteed. Every day. 24/7. Even when we sleep.

I remember vividly the beginning of my Christian life. One aspect that will serve as a memorial for as long as my memory exists, was my Lord's gracious gift of peaceful sleep. The contrast could not have been more stark: from nightmares to songs; from graphic images of death and destruction to light and life; from demons to angels. My far-gone will was renewed and strengthened. It was mended in fundamental ways that changed everything about how I thought and felt. And I was able to look upon my life before Christ with - and there is no other word for this - horror. I understand, at least in part, Peter's cry when he recognized Christ's undisguised holiness: "When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, 'Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!'" (Luke 5:8, NKJV).

The battle still rages between my will and spirit even in my sleep, but that small taste of God-granted victory changed the essential nature of the fight. Now the conflict lies not so much in the realm of nightmare, but in the domain of trust. Instead of primeval mental demons flinging me awake atop sweat-drenched sheets with heart pounding, my own anxieties sometimes wage war against my peace. Instead of self-centered existential terror, more often than not, my sleep is stolen by fears on behalf of my loved ones - a small step up to be sure, but the war is not yet won. I know that "… whatever is not from faith is sin." (Ro 14:23)

My waking flesh stinks, too. Not literally most of the time, but in its base drives and unguarded thoughts. The longer I walk with the Lord, the more I learn and receive of who He is, the more I become aware of how far short of His goodness I fall. And I understand why throughout this Church Age, big, burly Christian writers from the Apostle Peter onward, frequently describe the Lord as beautiful and precious, because the depth and reality of His goodness defies simple description.

Knowing that God knows I am engaged in constant war is somehow reassuring. For surely the war is evident despite whatever effort I may put forth to deny it. If I know the Bible, I cannot honestly live under the delusion of my own goodness, I can only pray for my Lord's empowerment to do as Paul exhorts above - walk in the Spirit - so that I do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. This is a moment-by-moment thing. Momentary success followed my momentary defeat until the moment the Lord brings me home. But He knows this about me, and ensures that I know He knows. His desire is for me to be victorious in this fight, this War of Sanctification, but loves me even when I suffer ignominious defeat. And He promises to complete this good work which He has begun in me, and sometimes gives me sweet, sweet moments of His victory. And for that and so much more, I will love Him forever.