Friday, July 05, 2013

(Reprise) Dead Man: Dead Man in the Forest

"How about a walk?" he asked. "I would like to show you something."

Just as I was about to voice my agreement, we were there, in the midst of the most incredible stand of trees imaginable. It seemed to span miles, and each tree was a magnificent specimen of everything majestic and solid and stately about monumental trees.

"I love a good tree!" I exclaimed, again like a two-year old when first introduced to something exciting and grand. "They are just so real and friendly and comforting and noble all at once. Is this what you wanted me to see?"

He just smiled for the billionth time, and it was not at all condescending or patronizing. In fact, each repeat occurrence seemed to express his growing fondness for me. Or else I was just beginning to discern the true motives behind everything he said and did.

"Not exclusively," he replied. "But I know of our love for forests, and, as heavenly examples go, this is pretty spectacular, yet nothing like what He's provided closer to the Throne."

I didn't waste any energy speaking, but just kept gazing in childlike wonder at the vast perfection around me.

Unlike earthly forests, with their sometimes tangled undergrowth, damaged and felled trees, ground cover of dead leaves, and unkempt terrain (all beautiful enough in the natural state, of course), this forest was incomparably better in every conceivable way.

It was both undeniably natural and somehow manicured by a Master landscape artist. It was carpeted with a never-ending lawn of cottony-soft, almost emerald-green grass, from which the gigantic trees sprang as if planted there at the beginning of time and space.

The canopy of tree-tops, though incalculably huge, did not obscure the ground with shadow, nor block the light radiating from some source, currently unidentifiable, but nevertheless a pervasive wellspring of warmth and clarity unparalleled on earth.

There was no sign of death or decay anywhere I looked. All was alive and vibrant and seemed to be present just for my enjoyment.

And the atmosphere of utter peace and safety overrode even the visual effect, as if nothing bad or negative had, or could, or would, ever happen anywhere within this blessed fortress of trees.

"You are more like we were as a child than you know" my companion offered, "so stare away my friend, for as long as you like."

I don't know or care how much timeless time passed while we walked through this magically primordial place, saying very little, except for me occasionally exclaiming, "Oh! Look at that!" over and over again, as some new and glorious wonder caught my eye.

If I were the most gifted painter in the history of mankind, I could spend the rest of my temporal life attempting to capture these scenes and not do them the least amount of justice. And if the visual arts were woefully inadequate, literary artistry ran out of verbal canvas, easel, colors and brushes before even getting started.

There were only so many adjectives in the Universe, and five minutes trying to describe this place exhausted the supply from one end of existence to the other.

I was transported in a way that only glorious natural scenery, or heart-stirring music, or the innocent devotion of children could manage. For it was all those things, and much, much more.

Then, a thought occurred. “Where are the critters?” I asked.

Ah! Perfect timing,” he smiled.

Then in the distance, at the edge of hearing, I heard a familiar sound that I couldn't immediately place.

Normally,” he said, “even here at the Edge, this placing is teeming with creatures; land animals and birds beyond measure, many extinct from Shadowlands, but alive and well in this blessed forest. But something very special has been orchestrated just for you. Something He delights to provide for all His children.”

Then, as if this were not gift enough for several centuries, and much to my complete shock, the sound in the unseeable distance became very clear and I heard three distinct, but undeniably familiar barks heading my way. In the next instant, overtopping a slight rise in the ground ahead, I saw a trio of oh-so-recognizable dogs coming right toward me.

So dogs do go to Heaven! I thought triumphantly.

Every creature He has knit to your heart will proceed or follow you here” he said to me, knowing my thought. “Especially dogs, for He created them from the Beginning to be faithful companions. It is one of His many gifts.”

"It can't be!" I said, as I dropped to my knees instinctively to greet these three very special, long-lost, and faithful canine friends. “Dogs in Heaven! I never in a million years thought I would see them again!”

"Here boys!" I cried out, tears streaming down my face in rivers of child-like joy. "It can't be!"

But it so was.

I could view them with a clarity unknown to me before, as if seeing not only their familiar physical components - hair, eyes, and stance – but also something deeper. I saw each of their characters; that which made them unique and uniquely suited to me out of all the humans in history.

He does that,” my older, wiser, self explained. “He provides you with exactly what you need when you need it, from before the foundation of the world.”

I didn't fully understand. Did He bring these creatures to me at the various times in my life, selecting them from a pool of candidates, or did He form them ahead of time knowing everything? But then, as my eyes just soaked in their respective presences, I knew I didn't need to understand.

I focused on the one I had named,Chips, a companion from my earliest childhood, bounding gracefully toward me with fluid, poetic motion that belied his small size. Inexplicably, I now knew that Chips was not his real name, but an appellation of my own limited, childish invention.

I also knew he had long-ago forgiven me for such a mundane choice. He was what, on-planet, we call a tricolored Manchester Terrier, barely a foot off the ground. I realized now, too, that such superficial, earthly designations didn't even scratch the surface of his true nature.

All three of these noble creatures, Chips, Mac, and Clyde were miraculously here in this place and clearly happier to see me than I had ever remembered them being. Then, as if to memorialize the significance of this grand reunion, all three noble animals came to a dignified stop about ten feet from me.

I stared at them in utter amazement and joy, unable to speak because my throat was so full of emotion and gratitude.

Clyde was the one who approached in absolute dignity first.

He looked precisely as he had in his prime, but better, with a shinier and smoother coat. He did not resemble at all the crippled, and stroke-devastated animal I had put to sleep after 17 years of being my loyal and unconditionally loving companion.

Of the three, he was the one I had spent the most time with, and who deserved all the respect and regard I could give him. He too, was tricolored, a mixed German Shepherd-Collie (and who knew what else), and had stuck by me no matter what, through everything and anything during some very bad and troubled times in my later youth and early adulthood.

More than once, I felt he was the only friend I had. And here he was with me again! What an unexpected and thoroughly surprising gift.

Next came the diminutive Chips, sidling up respectfully next to the larger dog, awaiting his turn for my effusive and tear-filled greeting. Though he had run away from our house when I was just a boy, he had meant much to this lonely country kid as we moved from town to town, as my Dad began working closer to the big cities.

Last was Mac, still the puppy who had died suddenly of liver failure after only one night in our house soon after my wife and I were married. He was the animal that opened my heart again to having a dog, years after I had said good-bye to my beloved Clyde, and I had sworn never to leave myself open to that kind of heart break again.

"These are just dogs!" I said finally in an emotion-laden voice, barely able to speak. "Why?"

"Are you disappointed?" my future-self asked.

"You know I'm not. How could I be?"

"This is simply to show you something very important for you to remember: NOTHING GOOD IS LOST IN THE LORD! NOTHING!"

He actually shouted those last words, but it sounded more like another chorus of praise.

"He has provided this small taste of the future Grand Reunion, not only because He loves you with an everlasting love, but He loves these faithful creatures, as well. He was the One who brought them to you in the first place. And believe me, when these glorious animals knew that you were approaching, very little could have stood in their way from seeing you again."

He laughed goodnaturedly then, and more than anything else, at that moment, he reminded me of a kindly grandfather whose favorite thing in the world was to see the delight of his precious grandchild.

"He loves you more than you can possibly know," he repeated. "This is just the beginning."

© Bill Lilley 2011, 2013