Sunday, May 19, 2013

Grace Be With You All


And I appeal to you, brethren, bear with the word of exhortation, for I have written to you in few words. Know that our brother Timothy has been set free, with whom I shall see you if he comes shortly. Greet all those who rule over you, and all the saints. Those from Italy greet you. Grace be with you all. Amen. (Hebrews 13:22-25, NKJV).

Grace and peace are the conjoined twins of the New Testament, especially as salutations from the Apostle Paul (as he aged, he amended his benedictions to include grace, mercy, and peace – and for those of us who are also aged, we understand completely).

It has rightly been said that you cannot know the peace of God until you understand and accept His grace (unmerited favor) through Jesus Christ. God's grace is that which pours out upon His children all the spiritual blessings in the heavenly places. It is God's grace that make us coheirs with Christ. It is God's grace that bestows us with eternal life in glorified physical bodies.

His grace is almost the opposite of His mercy, since mercy is not receiving the punishment we do deserve, while grace is receiving all His immeasurable gifts which we do NOT deserve.

Without Christ we can have neither grace nor peace. Without faith in Him we are enemy combatants in the long war against God waged daily by all those who have not accepted the gift of His righteousness through His Son. It is a war that He has allowed to persist from Satan's rebellion until He recreates all things at the time of restoration, so that all those born in sin can have opportunity to repent and be saved.

As His ambassadors and soldiers operating behind enemy lives, apart from His everlasting mercy, we need His grace more than anything to endure and do His will until our time here is done, or His Son returns for His church.

Paul understood and communicated the importance of this grace in each of his epistles. If John, the reformed Son of Thunder, is the apostle of love, then Paul, the transformed legalist, is the apostle of grace. He knew that it was God's grace that was his life's blood, and he exhorted and encouraged the early church to never forget that truth.

From hate-filled Pharisee to the foremost Christian missionary of the 1st century church, Paul always credited his miraculous metamorphosis entirely to God. It was none of himself and all of Christ. And it was the grace of Jesus Christ that fueled him more than his necessary food.

This is what I know about grace in my own life:

My Savior does not hold against me my time in the enemy's camp, despite the fact that it encompassed most of my life thus far.

My Lord does not return to me evil for evil, but good. He has blessed me beyond anything I could ask or think or imagine.

By His grace I have been washed clean. It is not merely that He has taken my punishment upon Himself – though that is an unfathomable gift in and of itself – it is that He has purposed before the foundation of the world to view me and love me as He does His Son, Jesus. I have not “just” been absolved of guilt, I have been adopted as one of His own.

Christ calls me not His subject or servant, though I am privileged to be both, but His friend.

I am implored by His Spirit to come boldly to His Throne of Grace to find mercy and help in time of need.

By His grace nothing of value in my life is lost, ever. He will restore the years that the locust ate and guarantees that He will complete that good work in me that He began at the moment I came to repentance and faith – an act empowered by His grace.

When I die, it will be a Homecoming that I cannot comprehend or fully understand, but which I know He has prepared for me, uniquely, and which will fill me with everlasting joy.

By His grace, I never have to say “good-bye” to those whom I love in this life, but only “see you later.”

This marvelous Book of Hebrews has been a journey through the revelation of Christ's superiority to anything and everything that can possibly be conceived or worshiped.

His unparalleled beauty, majesty, nobility, power, intelligence, love, and grace has been given to us in this 1st century letter as a divinely inspired gift beyond price.

Beloved, I urge you to make the truths of Hebrews part of the very fiber of your heart and soul, so that your love and faith in Christ is deepened with each incredible verse.

Grace be with you all. Amen.