Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christ is Magnified

For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. (Philippians 1:19-20, NKJV).
Have you ever been ashamed before the Lord?

If you are a Christian, and cognizant of your own sinfulness, I suspect you have been, however fleetingly, and probably more than once. I confess that I have. Sometimes daily. Often, many times per day. Having become a Christian late in life, I have emerged from a long line of shameful things, and some of these still grab hold of my heart and mind. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. (Romans 7:15, NKJV).
If that was the Apostle Paul's admission, who am I to confess anything less? I believe firmly that the more you walk in close fellowship with the Lord, the more sensitive you become to your own sin. I think that is inevitable. The nearer you are to His true nature, the more His glory illuminates your shame, until, like Peter, you cry out, …“Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!” (Luke 5:8, NKJV). Or Isaiah when he saw the LORD high and lifted up, and proclaimed, …“Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts.” (Isaiah 6:5, NKJV).
And yet, and this is important, I feel neither abandoned, nor cast out, nor condemned, nor disqualified in my shame. I did not save myself, nor am I the one who keeps me saved. I am kept by the power of God. I know that He who has begun a good work in me will complete it until the Day of Jesus Christ. I know that no man can snatch me out of either my Father's nor the Son's hand. And I know, [if] we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9, NKJV).
In part, precisely because of this incredible, indescribable love and grace that my Savior has for me, I, like Paul, have an earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed. This is not out of obligation, but sheer gratitude. I know that His grace is no license for sin, but in one sense, that doesn't even enter the picture, for by His grace, I don't WANT to sin, or at least, I don't want to want to sin. I want all boldness, in Christ, not for my sake, but so that Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. Everywhere and in everything (whether by life or by death), that new heart that He has created within me desires to do His will. That I am still at war with my old nature is fact. That often the new man loses the battle with the old is also fact, which the Holy Spirit so mercifully informs us is the case. And I also know that my  …flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that [I] do not do the things that [I] wish. (Galatians 5:17, NKJV). And while knowing all that is some comfort, what is far better is NOT succumbing to my sinful nature. For by just simply being a "mere Christian", Christ is magnified.

But do not overlook the first part of Paul's statement above, For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. This wonderfully demonstrates the apostle's absolute confidence in some very specific things in his current circumstances (house arrest), and all future circumstances. Paul was confident of his ultimate deliverance. In this instance, it was from jail, but from a larger perspective, he was sure that Jesus Christ would deliver him from "this body of death", transforming him from corruptible to incorruptible, from mortal to immortal.

He was also confident that he was in the church of Philippi's prayers. His relationship with his flock was such that they would inevitably pray for his deliverance and return. They needed him to continue to teach them the things of Christ. Paul knew that, and so did they, even mentioning this specifically a bit further on in his letter to them. But more than that, he was their beloved teacher and they were his beloved and longed for brethren. They wanted him back. And because he was certain that it was in God's will for the church that he return and finish that good work, he had no doubt he would be delivered.

Lastly, the Apostle Paul was certain that nothing would be accomplished outside the sovereign work, will, and provision of the Holy Spirit, the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Consequently, as much as mere human effort would be useless by itself, that which was empowered by the Holy Spirit was guaranteed success, for Paul knew that it was …‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the LORD of hosts. (Zechariah 4:6, NKJV). 

When I understand Paul's perspective, I truly desire to live the way he did during my time on this planet; confident, bold, in shameless magnification of Christ. That I fail miserably, and often, takes nothing away from my heartfelt intent. That I desire to succeed mitigates the shame only a little. But that's the point really. It's not about me. It's about Christ in me, the hope of glory.

When I maintain that perspective, when I take my eyes off my miserable self, and gaze fixedly on my Lord, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2, NKJV), then there comes upon me that bold, shameless obedience to the One who loved me and died for me so that I might live forever.

Will I continue to stumble? Yes. Will He set me back on my feet again and make me stand? Without a doubt.