Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Weightlessness

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1, NKJV).

Weightlessness

I have been thinking about this verse all day, and cataloging those weights which I have such a hard time laying aside. The list is long and, well, weighty, and I am frankly getting too old to carry it. I've got spiritual tendonitis, or something, on the way to metaphysical hernia. Maybe it's time I just obeyed and laid the damned things down!

One of the most absolutely incredible truths about following Christ is that He wants us to STOP relying on ourselves and be dependent on Him working in us and through us.

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NKJV).

How much of a blockhead do you have to be to ignore this gentle encouragement?

"Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience." (Hebrews 4:11, NKJV). Read that one again! Be diligent, STRIVE, to enter His rest lest you FALL into disobedience! Self-reliance is a guarantee of rebellion. To borrow an overused phrase these days, when you or me take the wheel of our lives we end up in a ditch. Simple.

But even writing these things makes me squirm. You mean Lord, you want me to relinquish control? To leave it all up to You? Where do I draw the line between trust and irresponsibility?

He answers unequivocally in His Word. To paraphrase countless texts: Yes, relinquish control! It's an illusion anyway. Can you add one cubit to your stature? Can you make one hair white or black by nature?

Yes, leave it up to Me! I have ALL power and authority over EVERYTHING! All flesh. All principalities and powers. Height. Depth. Width. Breadth. All things living, dead, past, present and to come! To whom else will you go?

I draw the lines of your life. I will lead you in paths of righteousness and diligence and enable you to bear your burdens and carry out your responsibilities. I will strengthen you to do all necessary things. I AM the One who knows the number of the hairs on your head, Who knit you together in your mother's womb, Who knows the number of your days before there was yet any! I AM your exceedingly great reward. I AM your rearguard. I AM the One Who fights for you! I AM your strong tower. I AM the one Who gave Himself for you.

How much of a blockhead do you have to be NOT to gratefully, lovingly, trustingly and joyfully allow the Great I AM to BE all that you require? You have to be as much of a blockhead as I am.

You have to hold onto the things in this world and not realize that by NOT letting go you are being dragged down. Whatever those things are; sin, reputation, health, strength, looks, wealth, popularity, power, prestige, family, friends, your own self-image - ALL these things are weights that prevent you from running the race of life with endurance. The good things are not really yours anyway. None of them! They are His gifts to you. And you, beloved, have been bought with a price. You are the joy that was set before Him.

Think about this too. No matter how hard you try to maintain, you WILL go the way of all flesh if He does not come back for His church before your days are fulfilled and you are gathered to your people. Your strength will fail. Your skin will dry. Your loved ones will depart from you or you from them. Your days will weigh upon you like a ton of bricks applied one by one until you cannot proceed one more step, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN YOUR OWN STRENGTH.

He wants us to know these things, beloved, so that we can become weightless from the cares of this world. Free from the thorns and rocks that choke our growth. Do you have a worry? He beseeches us to throw them at His feet because He cares for us. Are you afraid? He is our Helper, what can man or the world do to us? Do you despair? His greatest desire is that His joy remains in us, and that our joy may be full. He became one of us for that very purpose, and died on the Cross in our place. What has that human being you are striving so hard to impress done for you, eh?

Look, I am as thick as you. Likely thicker. The weight of this world has, at times, almost crushed me beyond repair. Just like you. I have held onto things with a death grip that had I just let go, would have freed me to live a life of joy and satisfaction beyond anything I could ask or think. That weight is as familiar to me as the age spots on the back of my hand, and just as useless.

Purpose in your heart this very moment to simply obey. And rest, and peace and joy will be yours without even asking. That is Who He is. That is what He desires for His children. That is why He made us and redeemed us. His grace changes everything!

It's going to happen one way or the other, beloved. If you are His, You will either come to Him bowed done under the weight of this life only to discover He longed to joyfully carry it with you and for you. Or you will come to Him freed from those burdens after having served Him with unspeakable satisfaction all the rest of the days of your life, come what may. You choose. He has already made His decision clear.

“You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. (John 15:16, NKJV).