Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harassed for Heaven's Sake

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:10, NKJV).
Harassed for Heaven's Sake
This is one of two Beatitudes regarding persecution, and the second involving the promise of possessing Heaven.

We often think of persecution in regard to what is happening in places where Christianity is an offense and Christians are targets for imprisonment, beatings, property and child confiscation, torture, and even death. These things are common in various and hideous parts of the world today, and even a cursory internet search will yield thousands of results on a daily basis. We, as brothers and sisters in Christ are to pray fervently for those individuals chosen by our Sovereign God to suffer these things for Christ's sake. Martyrdom in the true church is nothing new, and is nonetheless incomprehensibly horrible.

But Christianity is an offense everywhere. And persecution takes many, many forms. The definition of the word translated "persecuted" in Matthew 5:10 includes ANY form of harassment, trouble, molestation, hostility, or discrimination from any source. As such it is a completely accurate description of what Jesus and the New Testament writers all warned that believers in this Fallen, Christ rejecting world will suffer.

Mr 10:30 “who shall... receive… persecutions--and in the age to come, eternal life.

Lu 21:12 “But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons… for My name’s sake.

Jo 15:20 “Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.

2Ti 3:12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

It is clear that if we Christians are not harassed in some way at some time in this life then we are being too silent about our faith. We are covert disciples either too lazy, too mistrusting of Christ, or too afraid to make our identification with the offense that is Christianity public. Was that harsh? Good, I meant it.

But great care needs to be taken here because I, for one, am personally capable of much offense that has NOTHING to do with my being a follower of Jesus. And I know you are too, simply because you are human and Fallen, and at war with your new nature in Christ. My own obnoxious potential is remarkably high. Ask anyone, especially those who know me best. And note that persecution because of my own offensive behavior is as far from what Jesus is talking about as  participating in a Holy War for material profit. Whatever harassment or hostility comes my way because of my way is probably more or less deserved. But whatever comes for His name's sake is guaranteed to bring reward. That is why our response to persecution is so very important, and our desired reaction is one of the many paradoxes of the Christian walk. So how are we to be when persecuted? (Hold onto your hats.)

Mt 5:12 “Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Mt 5:44 “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

Ro 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

These are encouragements to be supernatural; commands that are humanly speaking, impossible and counterintuitive. These are exhortations to be like Christ.

If I am harassed for Heaven's sake, I am to respond like a citizen of Heaven because doing so is proof that I already am. This earth is NOT our home. I am not to behave as a lowly denizen of this planet, giving as good as I get, but as an Ambassador of Christ, giving far better than I get. I can't do this by gritting my teeth and proceeding in my own strength. Sooner or later my resolve will dissipate and I will dive into the pre-Christian muck from which I emerged when I became a believer. But I can do so as a child of God empowered by His Holy Spirit within me, and when I surrender to His impulse and guidance, I will be blessed.

Simple.