Sunday, September 05, 2010

Chameleon Christians

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but REJOICES IN THE TRUTH; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails... (1 Corinthians 13:4-8, NKJV).

Chameleon Christians

Back in ancient history, before certain exotic reptilian pets became illegal or so regulated that you needed a background check to buy one, my one older cousin used to bring me those little turtles that supposedly give you Salmonella and/or little Chameleons lizards. Both came in those plastic terrariums with built-in ramps, no cover, and a small artificial palm tree in the center, which I guess served to remind the lackluster inhabitants of the tropical paradise of their origin. I think she worked for Kresges or Woolworths or one of those other 5¢ and 10¢ stores and got the critters for free. Or maybe stole them.

The Chameleons were interesting in that they were designed to blend into their surrounding environment. I would pick up the languishing reptile and place it alternately on a green leaf or brown stick and watch it's pigmentation change. Within a week, "Chamy", or whatever other clever name I came up with would be dead, and I'd await the next installment.

I know some professing Christians like that; they languish and blend in, and eventually, I think, become stiff, lifeless, and unloving, having a form of godliness but denying its power (2Ti 3:5). And whatever else they miss out on, they cannot obtain the full benefit of knowing and believing and REJOICING in the truth. They're too busy blending in with their surroundings and feeling prideful because of it. If among believers, they're all "Jesus this" and "Jesus that", and "praising God" and "praying in the Spirit" (all good things if done with a sincere heart and without regard to eye-service and men-pleasing, but just creepy when not), and when among the world, their jargon, and more importantly, their mindset, changes radically. Their Chameleon-like behavior is typically accompanied by a swollen spiritual hubris, perhaps because they blend in so well, or because they feel they're complying with the Apostle Paul's example of becoming all things to all people (1Co 9:22). But what do I know? I'm just a vile sinner saved by faith through grace, obtaining eternal life by the skin of my teeth, not because of anything I've done or could ever do, but because of what the Son of God did for me.

And that, by the way, is one component of the truth that I rejoice in the most: that I, a worm and no man, was raised up out the miry clay, under the sentence of death to be seated in the Heavenly places with Christ forever. I did nothing to earn that, and that's good news, because I COULD do nothing to earn such an unimaginable destiny. It had to be a gift of God, and not of any work that I could perform. I am so incapable of saving myself, that unless God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life, it would be better if I were never conceived or born. I rejoice in the truth of God's love for me, proven throughout all eternity by Him sending His Son to pay for me the price of my sin. When I forget that love, I look at the Cross, and it serves as a radiant beacon of truth that I can hold onto with all that I'm worth (which is nothing without Christ, but everything with Him).

Agape love rejoices in the truth because the truth is magnificent, inconceivable, liberating, heroic, and mind-bogglingly important. It is what saves, and heals, and gives hope and meaning. It is God's agape love poured out on a rebellious creation, poured out lavishly, unashamedly, overflowingly, as rivers of living water.

Agape love rejoices in the truth because it obliterates the lies of this world and present system, and the delusions of the fallen human mind.

Agape love rejoices in the truth because it knows the truth of who God is and what He has done and will do for those who love Him and are called according to his purposes.

Agape love rejoices in the truth because the truth of God is THE only hope, and that that truth and hope are everlasting.

Chameleon Christians live a life of stress, depression, uncertainty, discontent and bitterness. They cannot rejoice in the truth, because, like the lizard's skin pigmentation, their truth changes with their surroundings. It is a house built on sand.

Those children of God who are immersed in agape love know that God does not change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. That His mercies are new every morning, and endure forever. They know that He loves in a way that surpasses our finite understanding, and that nothing can separate us from that love.

Agape love rejoices in the truth in an eternal celebration of God's kindness and goodness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Agape love rejoices in the truth because that truth is extended to all as a free gift. All we need do is receive it in repentance and faith.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:31, 32, NKJV).