Friday, August 20, 2010

Vengeance

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. (Romans 12:19, NKJV).

Some days this is a very comforting verse.

When I was a child we moved from neighborhood to neighborhood far too frequently for my tastes or security, I would often get picked on as the dreaded "new kid", and I would wish for an avenger, a big powerful older brother who was kind to me, but devastating to those who persecuted me. Rescues were few and far between in those days; mostly never.

As an old crotchety adult, I find two things interesting about that experience. One, I vowed to BE that protector to those in my care; and two, I sometimes still wish for an avenger.

I am not nearly clever enough, or powerful enough or knowledgeable enough to exact good vengeance, but that has not stopped me from wasting a lot of mental and emotional energy wishing for it. Even as I type that sentence, superhero images of devastating justice flash through my mind like a graphic novel. Oh the futility! It would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic and didn't invoke such longing to right the wrongs done to me and my loved ones (mostly to me, I suppose).

This verse by Paul is the perfect remedy. Peel it apart and see what delicious goodness is inside.

"Beloved…" he says. Not idiot, or imbecile.

"…do not avenge yourselves…" Why? Because we're not really in a position to do so justly or effectively.

"…but rather give place to wrath…" Don't waste your time, beloved, frothing and fretting. Move your own wrath out of the picture, it's a paltry, gossamer thing in the long run, and cannot produce anything good, and because…

"…it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord." Think about it for just half a second, like when you're behind the wheel of a car and are wishing for a Bradley Fighting Vehicle or an Armored-plated HumVee or a Front-loader so you could just get those people out of your way! Or when someone offends you to the core, or accuses you unjustly. God Himself promises to exact vengeance perfectly, justly, effectively on your behalf. Move your wrath out of the way so His perfect and just wrath can act on your behalf. What a relief! What an escape from folly!

He promises to be that supernatural rescuer, and one day His justice will fill the earth. Until then, relax and do not waste precious time and energy being offended.

Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret--it only causes harm. (Psalms 37:8, NKJV).