Saturday, August 14, 2010

This is So Me

Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, (Philippians 2:14, 15, NKJV).

This is so me. Ask anybody, especially my closest family members.

Never complaining (belly-aching) and disputing (mindlessly questioning what is right). Always blameless (without spot or blemish), harmless (pure and uncontaminated), and faultless. In short, just a shining light of unadulterated goodness, beaming my goodness out into the world; my especially good goodness.

Well, maybe not. In fact, mostly not, because even if on the outside or audibly I might not be failing in these things, inside where it really counts, I stink at this stuff. The truth is though, that in failing in this I hurt myself and those around me and grieve the Spirit of God within me.

Like most of the exhortations in Scripture, Paul's entreaties here for decent behavior are for our own good, not for mere appearances or public relations. And, if it is true that the thing which we despise most in someone else is the very thing that is most like us, then complaining and disputing are my strongest points. When other people complain it sets my teeth on edge, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and makes me cringe like a finger nail being scraped on a chalkboard. Whiny self-pity, blatant or subtle, drives me up a wall. Whambulance drivers. Pity partiers. Skinned-knee sirens. Ugh. Yuk. Ew. Man-up and do something already. Unless of course you're not a man, then woman-up and do something.

Ok, I'm done complaining about complainers, and whining about whiners (for now). But let me be clear, when I say complaining I don't mean expressing true hurt or disappointment. That's not complaining. That's being real and honest. And when I say disputing, I don't mean making a rational, reasoned argument against something. That's being real and honest, too. What I mean is that certain, unmistakable, manipulative, self-justifying, attention-grabbing, pity-invoking, rash-inducing behavior that makes you just want to gag.

The thing is, that kind of behavior is just deadly and sickening. And it's pretty common. It's deadly because its all deception. It's sickening because it's like eating plastic food, and forcing those around you to partake whether they want to or not. Paul is saying, "Stop whining and and blathering and start thinking. Be real and begin caring about someone other than your own precious self for a nanosecond". And when you do, when you do, you will be like a flash of lightening across a dark and dreary night sky. Or like a welcome street light illuminating the way.

That's how children of God should be, because when they are they stand out. They get noticed for the right reasons, and in so doing they point others to God, because we all know what we're really like underneath all the disguises, so when someone is really, truly, simply, different, well, it's hard to ignore, and people know deep inside it's supernatural.

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, NKJV).